So I decided to write a post about cloth diapers. When my friend Stacey told me that she cloth diapered her son, I thought she was nuts. When she told me how much money she saves each month, I looked into it. When I first looked at it, there was so much information about cloth diapers that I was super overwhelmed. There are 4 main types of cloth diapers. Prefolds, Fitteds, pocket diapers, and all in one diapers.
-Prefolds are like the old school diapers that needed diaper pins. Now they have something called a snappi. It works much better than diaper pins and its alot safer for the babies little tushies! They require a waterproof cover to make sure that everyone/everything doesn't get wet. They are a little tricky to put on, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long. These are the majority of what we do with the twins right now at their size. They are cheaper than the latter kinds and they are very versitle of how you can put them on.
-Fitteds look like regular disposable diapers but they aren't waterproof. They are very easy to change. All you have to do is to snap/velcro them on and put a cover on it. The cover is what makes the diaper waterproof and not leak everywhere. These are very popular diapers. I have a few of these for the twins and a few for Joey as well. There are a bunch of kinds of these that are out there. We haven't ventured too far with these yet, but for the most part they are pretty absorbant.
-Pocket diapers are exactly what they say. They are a diaper with a layer of PUL (polyurithane laminate) (the waterproof stuff) and a pocket where the absorbant insert goes. Inserts are a whole different story. They can be made of so many different fabrics, such as microfiber, hemp, bamboo and the list goes on and on. The pocket diaper that we use is the BumGenius One size diaper. It can be snapped down to fit the twins and also be unsnapped to fit Joey. We bought a bunch of these at a seconds sale and that is what we use for the babysiters. They are great. They are close to disposables so they are easy for people who aren't familiar with cloth diapers. I stuff them and have them ready for when teh boys need to be changed.
-All in One Diapers are as they say, all in one. They have everything they need in one diaper. Some of them have an area so that you can stuff more absorbsion in it, but some are as absorbant as they can be. These are great diapers for going out. I love the fact that you do not have to do anything to them, they are already ready and you don't have to carry more than just the diaper. No inserts, no covers, just the diaper. They are normally a sized diaper, so you have to have multiple sizes to last throughout the whole diapering process. They do take a while to dry, so that can be a downside if you are in a time crunch.
Overall, I have had a great experience with cloth diapering. I love the feeling of not having to run to the store to buy disposable diapers all of the time. We still do use them for overnights because we can't find an overnight diaper that Joey doesn't pee through or that doesn't leak. No matter how many times I stuff it, I can't find one that doesn't leave his bed wet and make him wake up because he is wet. If anyone has a suggestion, I will gladly try it!
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Cloth Diapers
Posted by Mini MNM's at 5:22 PM
Labels: BumGenius, cloth diaper, diaper, Prefold
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment